Thursday, January 29, 2009

The birth of an angel and very proud parents

I went into the labor hoping to go natural all the way but didn't take into consideration that Sam wasn't really willing to come out on her own. I was 9 days overdue on 10/30/08 so my OB decided to induce with cervadil overnight that Thursday night. We were thinking we would for sure have our little monkey by Halloween and decided it was a perfect birthday for a little kid b/c of all the candy and who wouldn't want all their friends to dress up for their birthday? They started the pitocin drip early on Friday morning and the waiting began. I was still only dilated .5 a cm when we started and by 4pm I was only at 2cm so they decided to break my water. Things began to progress a tiny bit at that point, one more cm by 11pm, at which point I decided an epidural was the way to go. I'm terrified of needles but decided I needed some help so I got the epidural and both Chris and I settled in for a nap.

Its crazy to sleep in the midst of everything but it was such a relief. Amazingly the epidural seemed to help my body relax and my cervix began to dilate from 3 cm to 6 cm and then all of a sudden we were at 9 cm and then 10 cm and it was time to start pushing. I started pushing at 6:40am on Saturday, November 1st and by 8:40 they decided to bring out the vacuum. It was only 16 more minutes and Sam was born at 8:56am. She weighed 8 pounds, 4 ounces and was 21 inches long.

Being a parent has got to be the coolest thing I've ever done, and it just keeps getting better. Sam is 3 months old this weekend and changing all the time, you have to watch closely or you'll miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment